Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Where is the house you will build for me?"

Isaiah 66.1-4:
"This is what the Lord says: 'Heaven is my throne and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?' declares the Lord. 'This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at my word.'"

What folly! Did you honestly think that you were going to be the one who builds a church institution and church building that could contain the Lord over all creation?  What folly! God will not esteem you or be in awe of any grand gesture of your hand! You are obsessed with creating something that validates how great you are. Did you honestly think you were going to "Wow!" God?  You acted as though God needs you so you can build a house where he can be safe. Ha! What folly!  Pride!

The one who God esteems is humble and is poor in spirit - the one who grasps the omnipotence of the God of all creation. The one who God esteems is the one who humbles himself or herself in contrition and worship. He or she knows God's word and trembles.

Notice they were doing all the things required by the law. They were worshipping with the practices prescribed. But, "The most sacred exercises of true God-given religion are like the worst sins when they are divorced from humility of spirit" (NIV Bible Commentary 1145).


No comments: