Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Conversation? Not really.

This is an op-ed that I sent to a progressive Baptist news organization. The editor declined to publish it. So, here it is for you...

Conversation? Not really.

Recently, I audited a “ministry of writing” course at a progressive Baptist school of theology where I am a Doctor of Ministry student. During one of the sessions, the professor invited, as a guest instructor, the managing editor of a progressive Baptist news organization based in Georgia. The purpose of his visit was to provide suggestions for writing a great op-ed that he would publish.

During this editor’s discussion, he mentioned a promotion that he received from a representative of the Assemblies of God, which is a Pentecostal denomination based in Springfield, Missouri. What struck me was the sarcastic tone he used when saying the name “Assemblies of God,” as if to say, “Why would they send us anything, and why would this representative think that we would even be interested?” This brought a chuckle from the rest of the class. The editor pointed out, again with an inflection that oozed with sarcasm, that the A/G representative had abbreviated the denominational name with “Ass. of God” in his proposal. So, the editor made it a point to read it as it was written – Ass of God – to drive home the point that this was not an effective way of pitching a program. Very true!

However, this presented a problem for me: as an ordained, Assemblies of God pastor, I was saddened and confused by his sarcasm. The tone this managing editor struck when referring to another Christian denomination is representative of a deeper issue than merely a poor choice of grammar. The editor’s ad hominem representation of the Assemblies of God, and clearly Pentecostals in general, conflicts with the narrative that I consistently hear from progressive Baptists. Time and again, I hear progressives insist that the appropriate method for engaging culture and others from different faith traditions and religions is with conversation rather than as a contest or criticism. Progressives argue that Christians should provide equal space for alternative views to be heard. However, what I am hearing from progressive Baptists is rather different than what I am experiencing as a Pentecostal, which seems to imply: “We invite you to listen, but do not talk. You might embarrass us.” By your exclusion, attitude, and snickering, it invalidates the narrative. In fact, it sounds (dare I say it?) – hypocritical.

You may be asking, “Why is a conservative Pentecostal attending a progressive Baptist school?” It may surprise you to learn that there are some of us who have a sincere respect for the Baptist tradition. You may also be shocked to learn that there are some conservative Pentecostals that are willing to reach across denominational and theological lines because we believe that there is much we can learn from one another. While acknowledging theological and philosophical differences in ministry, I attend a progressive Baptist school to expand my understanding and appreciation of other faith traditions and to sharpen and deepen my conviction of what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. Also, I argue that we have a valid voice that can contribute to the conversation about what it means to be a Christian in this rapidly changing and complex culture.

I am saddened by my experience thus far while attempting to reach out to some Baptist believers and seek to understand the progressive Baptist tradition. My attempt to make at least a small bridge to another faith tradition and to get away from inflammatory rhetoric have been met with suspicion and snickering. I get the overwhelming sense that the Assemblies of God is viewed as that crazy second cousin that you snicker about and never want to invite to the family reunion. Despite being referred to as the “Ass of God,” as this managing editor so eloquently implied, I will not give up. I am convinced that Christ is deeply concerned about division in his body, and I want to do my part to bring unity and vision to the divine mission to which we all have been called.

Progressives, I challenge you to reach out to a conservative Pentecostal that is truly searching for God’s will in this world. You might find a friend in Christ with whom you can truly relate – more than you imagined.

Otherwise, we should discard this false notion that we are in a conversation.

No comments: